Blogger Backgrounds

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

When you should probably walk away...

So I've been done with the Froster promotions job for about a week or so now, and I'm already ready to jump from a skyscraper out of boredom.

It's one thing to talk about having patience when you're ready to get your life started and join the real world, but it's another to actually have said patience when you're ready to get your life started and join the real world.

This far in the game, I have had a couple really solid interviews, and great opportunities have come my way. I've been landing second interviews, which I guess is a pretty good sign that I'm doing something right. I'm trying not to beat myself up when things don't go my way - but it's really really hard not to.

I'm ready to be a grown up now! Where are you, big-girl-job?!

While I'm obviously playing the role of the desperate college grad seeking a chance, a shot, a stroke of good luck, ANYTHING - I WILL TAKE IT - I think it's important to remind myself, fellow graduates, and future grads, that even we, the desperate - should have standards.

A short while ago, I had an interview where my gut instinct told me to walk about two-thirds of the way through it - but unfortunately (and maybe fortunately?) I'm too polite of an individual (and maybe even a little chicken) to actually get up and walk away.

What happened was - I'm back at the office for Interview #2 with two individuals, my potential future boss, and the employee I would be replacing- and while I'd midway through speaking and answering questions - my potential future boss is looking down and texting on his Blackberry.

Kind of made me feel like whatever I was talking about had 0 value, I'm not interesting enough to pay attention to, and I'm obviously wasting my time here. I mean, if that's any indication I'm probably not going to get the job, I don't know what is.

It's also really awkward trying to make eye contact with someone BBM-ing while in an interview. I mean, if I whipped out my cell phone in the middle of an interview, said "Sorry, just gotta make a quick text", I can't see that going over well.

Normally, I would have just let something like this slide without a blogpost to vent. But what really bothered me is how this organization informed me that they decided to go with someone else.

They called my home and told my sister to tell me.

Is that normal? That doesn't usually happen to me. I mean, an e-mail or speaking to me directly seems like the professional route to go rather than putting it all on my family member to break the bad news.

So kids, I guess from this we can say that I may have a slight bit more professionalism that the organization I was applying to (which is ODD and RARE as anyone can attest to the fact that I'm a bit of a goofball) - and perhaps I am better off in the job pool, swimmin around, and looking for something else to bite into.

I always tell others that things work themselves out eventually - somehow, so it's gotta be the same for me, right?

“Somehow I can't believe that there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secrets of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four Cs. They are curiosity, confidence, courage, and constancy, and the greatest of all is confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.”

- Walt Disney

1 comments:

Justin said...

Don't give up. You're a very well spoken person and a great writer. I know the right job will come soon.

Post a Comment